Who is the Holy Spirit?


Wednesday December 6 2012:

Acts 2:4.  “And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.”

To speak in other languages in this way is sometimes called a manifestation of the Holy Spirit.  Some churches are witness to several different kinds of manifestations. 

Some will go to extremes and use it as a way to obtain attention from media or other sources.. 

Some churches discourage any manifestations of the Holy Spirit  could it be because they are afraid of losing control of the congregation or that they are afraid of allowing God to be in full control?

My own experience of a specific experience with a manifestation of the Holy Spirit involves a wondrous time of feeling like I was being showered with warm oil and a joy so powerful that it could not be contained and just seemed to bubble out in tears and emotion that  was wonderful.  I remember longing for this feeling to remain. 

I was accompanying  high school students from a Christian School on a short-term mission experience in Mexico. I was feeling superfluous and wondering why I actually came when the power of the Holy Spirit came upon me so strongly that I could not do anything to suppress it or control it. 

It was a positive and  memorable experience that enabled me to gain strength with a new and wondrous peace that enveloped me for some time after. 

I long for another touch like that but I know there is nothing I can do to have it repeated; it must come from the hand of God or it will not be real.  I feel it was a gift from God to comfort and confirm that he was taking care of me while enabling me to become closer to him with a new understanding of who God is.

Prayer for today:  Heavenly Father, I just want to thank you today for your faithfulness.  I know you are with me for anything that is not real could never touch me as you have.  Your promises always are evident and you deserve all honour and glory for you are the one and only God.  In Jesus name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment