Observing your children!!


Weekend Read November 10 2012:

The following is taken out my journal.
 Entry from February 6 2000:........

On January 16, Robyn had a special birthday dinner in honour of my birthday.  Everyone was there.  It truly was a wonderful day!  It is such an immense blessing to see our children together and while I know they will never be best of friends, they do pull together under tough circumstances as when Drew was in the fatal  car accident.

They also practice tolerance with each other when we are present.
They all have their strengths........and weaknesses; we all do and I love each one of them very much.
 
A Mother’s heart is difficult to describe when it comes to her children.  I realize their differences and their shortcomings and because I have lived longer, experienced more and prayed much for wisdom, or perhaps I am now an onlooker at their lives, I see them and watch the growth taking place in their lives.  I can discern the successes and disappointments and my heart hurts for the areas in their lives where there is a need for growth.  I know they still have difficult lessons to learn ahead of them.
 
No matter how much we would like to shelter our children from the pain of life’s lessons, we cannot.  I understand we all have our individual journeys to travel, over the bumps through the valleys and around the corners of change in order to arrive at our destination. 

Thank God there are plateaus and yes, even mountains tops when we feel like we are on top of the world but these times do not linger and then we are faced with another valley.  The good thing about being in the valleys is; that is where we learn to accept what we cannot change, where our very souls are being refined and where we really get to know ourselves and each valley brings us closer to the epoch of where we strive to be.....where there is truth, love, joy and peace of mind.  This is when we are able to see and understand what really matters.  

Are we there yet?  I don’t think so but we keep pressing on, forgetting what is behind and pushing on toward the goal.....the destiny of our journey.  And we hope our children find peace and contentment that we, as ageing parents, know is attainable!

No comments:

Post a Comment