Being hands and feet that God can use!


Tuesday October 23 2012:

1 John 4:12.  “ No one has ever seen God, but if we love each other, God lives in us and his love has been brought to full expression through us.

We are the feet, hands and mouths of God.  How, then, should we conduct our lives?

I feel so blessed for the privilege of living on the west coast during the winter months where the temperature is considerably warmer than on the prairies.  The warmer temperatures, however, help to increase the number of homeless people who live on the streets.  As I walk by them downtown, I often whisper the prayer, “God help them.”  But if that is all I do, who will actually physically help them?  It is only through us and by us that the poor and needy can be helped.  I need to do more than pray for them!

I have a dear friend, 86 years old who is my spiritual mentor.  She has much wisdom for the things of God. Last winter, she initiated a program that enables organized groups to collect food at regular intervals from neighbourhood houses and deliver it to a community food bank so the needy can come and collect the necessary food for their family. This program is considered a huge success.  She said it occurred to her that people are willing to give but don’t have the time to deliver the food to the food banks so she is providing the means to obtain the needed food.

Perhaps there is something similar or something totally different but needed, for you to become involved in, so that we can become the hands that God needs or the eyes, or the mouth and feet.  We need to become involved
.
Heavenly Father, I’m so thankful that you care about the homeless and the poor and needy.  I pray for a right attitude toward them.  Help me not to belittle them or look down on them.  I want to remember them with love  and I want to be used by you for them.  Help me to seek your will and be ready to help in any way that you want me to. Help me to show your love to everyone and do what I need to.  In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment