Watching what we say.


Tuesday October 2 2012:

Isaiah 58:13b.  “ Honour the Lord in everything you do, and don’t follow your own desires or talk idly.”

To honour the Lord in everything we do seems impossible to do at times.  Yet, he says he cares for us even in our standing up and lying down. 

 There are many promises in his Word that assure us of his love for us even in our daily hum-drum lives.  Does it seem foolish to take the time to acknowledge him and honour him?

When my sister was still on this earth she used to greet strangers with the phrase, “ Hasn’t the Lord provided us with a glorious day?”  In her last years, I sensed her closeness to the Lord by her acknowledging remarks in everyday situations.  Even though I vowed to this myself, I often fail miserably. 

His Word tells us to do this and make our conversation meaningful.  What a wonderful world this would be if we followed this command to acknowledge God in everything and strive to keep our conversation positively meaningful.  Many words we speak are a waste of time and breath and do harm to others and ourselves.

Prayer for today.  Heavenly Father, I know I often disappoint you in my speech and I don’t acknowledge you in my everyday language.  I also know that without you  I am nothing.  Help me to say and do the things that will bring glory to your holy name.  Help me not to waste time in idle talk or to follow my own desires but to reflect on your Word and your direction.  I want to be what you want me to be.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment