Faith and Good Deeds


Monday October 16 2012:

James 2:17.  “So you see, it isn’t enough just to have faith!  Faith that does not show itself by good deeds is no faith at all- it is dead and useless.”

My Father quoted the Apostle Paul in many situations.  He was such a “Paulian” that he often neglected other parts of God’s inspired Word.  I recall discussions about ‘living ‘ your faith or showing your faith by your actions.

 He would say faith is enough in and of itself.  I would advocate good deeds are necessary to show our faith to others. I believe he did not fully understand what James is telling us in this scripture. James does not deny the importance of a belief but he confirms, only believing does not model our faith.  How can others ‘see’ our faith if it is not accompanied by good deeds. 

 James does not say that good deeds alone will save us but it is necessary to perform an action to show our faith. James tell us that faith without good deeds is dead and useless.

I have discovered, if I want real joy, I perform a good deed for someone else.  To do good anonymously brings greater joy and results in a deep peace and joy!  When we make an effort to bring happiness to someone else, it returns to us in abundance.

Prayer for today:  Heavenly Father I praise you today for who you are and for what you did for me.  You gave your life for me and shed your blood so that I can have eternal life and spend it with you.  While I am here on earth, help me to be what you want me to be.  Help me to have willing hands to do your work and perform good deeds.  I pray that others will see you through me because of my good deeds.  Thank you for being my guide and Saviour.  In Jesus name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment