Are you carrying a cross?


Monday April 9 2012:


Luke 14:27: “And you cannot be my disciple if you cannot carry your own cross and follow me.”

I have never met anyone who did not have a cross to bear. We have all been given a cross in one form or another.

Some are heavier than others and more difficult to carry and at times we meet someone who we think, “Wow, what a life that person has, they seem to have everything and all their needs are met easily.”  While others may be able to conceal their burden (or cross) it is there.

 Have you ever wondered how or why some people never seem to be in a valley, seemingly on the mountain all the time?   And then there are those who, we know, are experiencing great difficulties and yet they have an inner joy that never seems to be absent.  They seem to float through the hard times and never “blink an eye”.

I wonder if Jesus meant that we are to carry our own cross with joy or sorrow? I have come to the realization that whether our joy or sorrow is evident, we need to learn to put our trust in the Lord and know His word and that will equip us to carry our own cross. I don’t believe Jesus meant for us to carry our cross alone because even Jesus had someone to carry his cross when He could not bear the load.
 I believe He provided the Holy Spirit, The Comforter, for us so we are always assured of the help we might need. I think He meant that we need to take responsibility for our cross and the way to do that is to give our burdens to Him.  Part of our responsibility is admitting that it is there and accepting it as our own rather than blaming others or God for it.

Friend, if your cross seems too heavy for you to bear today, give it to Jesus, lay it down and just ask Him to carry it.  He waits for you to rely on Him and He will answer your prayer.  Don’t be like I was when I realized Jesus would carry my burdens, I gave them up and then felt guilty because I wasn’t feeling guilty about not having burdens to carry!

The cross is a symbol of Jesus’ love, God’s power to save, and the thankful believer’s unreserved commitment to Christian discipleship. To those who know the salvation that Christ gained for us through His death, it is a “wondrous cross” indeed. (Nelson’s New illustrated Bible dictionary)

Prayer for today: Dear Lord, Thank-you for your Word and the relevance that I find in every verse, every chapter, every book. You say that your Word will not return void to you and I know you are hearing my prayers and listening to my requests. I thank-you for the privilege of carrying the cross that you see fit for me to bear. I know that you know what is best for me and I know I can always rely on you for strength to carry whatever I need to. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment