Planting Seeds in the garden of life:


Wednesday April 25 2012:

Colossians 2:7. “Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught.  Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all he has done.”

When I plant my garden every spring, it is an exciting time for me.  I dig the soil  and remove any weeds that have sprung up then I carefully carve the rows in straight lines and meticulously drop the tiny seeds into the prepared beds, cover them and mark each row with the seed packages proudly displayed at the end of each row.  I water whenever moisture is required, deeply so the roots will descend and grow strong, pull the weeds so they can’t hinder growth and watch and wait for the tiny seedlings to rise up.  There is nothing more rewarding! 

If I scattered the seeds into the dirt at random and just hoped they would grow I’m afraid I would not be rewarded, perhaps a few chutes would grow despite my neglect but certainly not the crop I have when I nurture and care for my garden.

Paul instructs us to draw nourishment from Christ Jesus by letting our roots go down into him.  If we desire the blessings and closeness of a personal  Christ, than we need to spend time, nurturing our relationship with him.

 There is only one way to do this and that is by reading his Word and talking to him and Paul tells us to let our lives overflow with Thanksgiving for all he has done. A relationship needs care, often we neglect our Saviour more than the other relationships or commitments. Let’s encourage our “roots” to go down into Him!

Prayer for today: Dear Lord, Forgive me for neglecting my relationship with you. I need you so desperately, all the time, and it seems I am always asking for things or crying to you for an injustice or hurt.  I don’t spend much time living my life with thanksgiving.  Forgive me as I attempt to praise you more, love you more and offer to be what you want me to be. Help me to be a fountain, overflowing with thanks for all you have done for me.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment