communicating with people and God


Thursday and Friday April 4 &5 2012 

 Ephesians 1:17. “......asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.”

I used to have unrealistic expectations of my husband that couldn’t possibly be met!  Why? Because he had no idea what they were.  For some reason, I expected him to know my needs: 

For many years, he never seemed to fulfill my expectations.  I often went into a “hissy-fit” and he would wonder why, never thinking it may have been something he did or didn’t do or something he said or didn’t say!

One day as I was feeling particularly sorry for myself at having such an insensitive mate, I realized, I had not communicated my needs to him in a clear way. I knew it was important to approach the situation delicately so I spent time in prayer asking for wisdom to resolve the dilemma.

I started the communication connection by commenting on positive things, like complimenting him for the good things he did and making special mention of the thoughtful gifts and tender moments. I also started re-evaluating my own personality and realized that I was as remiss as he was.  I had never really spent time wondering what his needs were or asking him if  I could do anything to make life easier for him.  I came to the stark realization that I was far less than the “perfect” wife I thought I was.

Through my efforts and honest realizations, my husband started sensing my needs and I realized his.

  Communication is most important in any relationship.
How often do we communicate with our Lord Jesus Christ? How can we know what His will is for us if we neglect to communicate with Him?  Even though he knows the desires of our hearts he needs to hear it from us.  Not necessarily for his benefit but when we spend time talking to the Lord, our understanding and knowledge of him increases.
 God created humans for the purpose of praise and worship to Him.  We need to exalt His name in praise and acknowledge that He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lord’s. This is what gets God’s attention - it pleases Him.

This is the beginning of communication with Him, and then comes the time to put forth our requests, to ask him to fulfill our needs. Just like my communication dilemma in my marriage, I needed to start with positive remarks and not with accusations or demands.

Since I have been openly communicating with my husband, he has become my best friend.  Isn’t that the relationship we want with Jesus.  He says He is a friend that will stick closer than a brother.  Set a time each day to talk to Him and let him know how very much you love him and how you long to know him.

Prayer for today: Father, I thank-you for being my friend.  I praise you for who you are, the one and only Sovereign God, Creator of Heaven and Earth and yet, you know me and love me and want what is best for me. I love you, Lord, and want to serve you.  I long to know you more and worship you more. Cause my heart to be broken with the things that break your heart and help me to know your direction and recognize your voice.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment