A Sunday Read


A Weekend Read!
A Journal Entry from 2002;

My husband and I have spent the last two winters in a 28’ motor home.  After we retired, it seemed a good thing for us to try and escape the cold and snowy Alberta winters.  Considering our Canadian dollar, Victoria BC seemed like a great alternative. I have to admit I was a bit dubious about living in confined quarters for six months.  I spent time in prayer asking God if this was really what he wanted me to do!  It seemed as if there was no alternative so in September we set out to experience our first adventure in 200 sq. feet of space.


You need to know I am the type of person who requires my own space and “alone” time and my husband is even more so inclined. Needless to say, we both had concerns but we were ready for an adventure. The worst thing that could happen was maybe we would come home sooner than the spring???

By God’s grace, for that’s what it was, we had a fabulous winter.  We became better friends than ever, and we thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company.  We also learned much.  We learned, some of the things that used to seem important really weren’t and we learned to be more giving, with “alone” time and understanding each other. We learned to accept each other’s shortcomings and realized we each needed to make some changes within ourselves. 

My husband became a great cook and also cleans from time to time, mind you it only takes about 7 minutes to clean a small motor home, I learned how to dump the tanks and drive this machine. My most important lesson was to become less controlling, more submissive, and realize that it is really God who controls my life.  I also learned as long as I allow God to control my life, it goes pretty smooth and when I run ahead or lag behind, things get rough.  I learned to be more “lay-back” and not “sweat the small stuff “ (as someone has eloquently said often......)  I learned my husband is a wonderful man and we love each other very much, even though our beliefs are very different. It is possible to thoroughly enjoy each other in confined quarters.

The second winter was even better than the first. We are now accomplished RV’ers and looking forward to our next winter in the fall.

I’m not sure if it comes with age or experience but I know I am a better person when I stop trying to control every situation and really allow God to intervene in my life.  I have often asked the question, “Why did you create me this way, Lord, if it’s going to take the rest of my life to strive to be what you really want me to be?” As I allow my will to become His, I am more at peace and I daily experience new wonders and many blessings that I know I often missed before. I wonder how I can convey this message to young people today?   If only we could realize how perfect God’s will is for us and learn to accept it while we are younger, we would not waste so much time “floundering.”


1 comment:

  1. awww... Thanks for sharing so eloquently My Mom! You warmed my heart with this writing. AND I needed to be reminded to day to 'not sweat the small stuff'! Let go and Let God! My mantra this evening as I end this day... Love you!

    ReplyDelete