being faithful in small matters and the mercies of the Lord!


  Weekend Read:

Luke 16:10.  “Unless you are faithful in small matters, you won’t be faithful in large ones.”

Several years ago, I attended a little fellowship that met in a community hall.  There was a single elderly gentleman who faithfully came early every Sunday morning.  He would spend time making sure the snow was cleared, the furnace turned on and the chairs lined up in straight rows.  He performed this labor of love each week for several years. 
I remember being impressed by his faithfulness and dedication to such a mundane task.  One day he died, unexpectedly and very suddenly.  I had the privilege of singing at his service.  We all missed him and it took us some time to find someone who could do the required task as well as he had.  As a matter of fact, I believe we had to pay someone to carry out these important duties.  I have often thought about him and how diligently he did what needed to be done.  I imagine him now, readying a heavenly chapel with authority because I know the Lord will lavish his rewards on him.
Sometimes we see early rewards in earthly lives to those who are faithful in small matters and we often see these same people chosen to do big important tasks following the mundane, but I believe there will be untold rewards awaiting these faithful people when they arrive in God’s mansions that he is preparing!

Prayer for today:  Heavenly Father, Thank you for trusting me to do your work.  Sometimes I feel as if what I do is not important but I pray that you will help me do my duties as unto you and not to impress someone here on earth or to achieve recognition.  Help me to do the little things that you entrust me with as well as I possibly can and not to neglect them. Thank you for loving me even when I fail at the responsibilities you ask me to perform.  In Jesus name, Amen.


 Addend
"This is a weekend read that was scheduled to be here but last week was a bit of a flurry so some devotions were somewhat mixed up and I did not want to miss this passage"

Lamentations 3:22-33
“The unfailing love of the Lord never ends! 
By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. 
Great is his faithfulness;  his mercies begin afresh each day.
 I say to myself, “ The Lord is my inheritance; therefore I will hope in him.”  The Lord is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him. 
So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord.  And it is good for the young to submit to the yoke of his discipline.  Let them sit alone in silence beneath the Lord’s demands.  Let them turn the other cheek to those who strike them.  Let them accept the insults of their enemies.  For the Lord does not abandon anyone forever.  Though he brings grief, he also shows compassion according to the greatness of his unfailing love.  For he does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment