In quietness and confidence............


Weekend Read:
Quiet Confidence:
Isaiah 30:15
“In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.”
 I love silence...........but it is difficult to find!  The whole earth seems to be filled with noise!  Some ‘noises’ are pleasant.  I enjoy good music, for example.  all kinds of music, all genres, blues, classical, country, gospel, some rock.  I like vocals, solos, trios, quartets, groups, choirs, harmony, unison, etc. etc.
There is a man in back of us in the RV Park where we spend our winters who practices his guitar about 18 hours at a time, each day, which, of course, leads into the wee hours of the night!  I have noticed an improvement over the last couple of months, which is more pleasing to my ears and must be encouraging to him!  It is not so loud that it disturbs us but we can hear his diligent perseverance!
My husband and I almost always have music playing in our home, whether it is in our motor home or in our stationary home!  When I am not listening to the radio or CD’s, I often haul out my keyboard and play and sing for hours at a time. So it’s not as if I am obsessive about quietness.
We love to walk, perhaps 2 or 3 days a week.  We like to walk where there’s no traffic.  Walking in silence is most enjoyable.  It increases my senses and appreciation for nature and it enables me to hear the diverse and delightful song of the birds or the breeze rustling through the leaves.  I love the subtle melody of creation.
When we’re driving in a vehicle, we often listen to music but my favorite drives are in the majestic mountains where there are no radio signals, we  drive for hours lost in our own thoughts.  We seldom know what the other is thinking but it doesn’t matter because we are at peace with each other and most comfortable after so many years of being together.  I silently talk to God and wait for him to plant thoughts and ideas within me; and he does.  I understand there are couples that feel compelled to talk to each other almost always but we are very comfortable riding in serene silence. .

When we are with our children and grand children, I enjoy listening to the excited voices as they almost always all speak at the same time.  There is an air of excitement when all eleven of the cousins are together.  These are very special occasions which only happen two or three times a year.  It is a great blessing to be the Gramma at these gatherings.  After a few hours everyone disperses and returns to their own significant homes.  We are alone once more and even though the silence is deafening and contrastive to the day, it is also refreshing and restful.  As we sit together , just the two of us, we reminisce quietly over the high lights and treasures of the past several hours.  Then we rejoice because we can revel in our serenity once more!
In my quiet, alone time, I almost always talk with God.  I know he hears me and he cares about me and that is what enables me to continue in the hustle and bustle of life in this world where we must dwell.  In the quiet I gain confidence as I ponder the promises that are written in his Word.  I also spend quiet moments asking for clarity as I search his word for guidance and direction in my everyday life.  This quietness is so important because it provides the confidence I need to continue, the confidence that confirms my uniqueness in the knowledge that I have been selected to be special because I am a child of God.
Although sound is necessary and I am thankful I have the ability to hear, I am also encouraged to enjoy the silence because it is during these times, I can hear what the Lord is saying to me.  Silence is important and a quiet time in your life each day may be what it takes to enable you to face today or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I too love the quiet. More so now that I actually understand what true quiet is...both physically and before My God. Loved your writing My Mom!

    ReplyDelete