Are you tempted to let things take the place of God in your life?


Thursday August 16 2012:

1 John 5:21  “Dear Children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts.”

We have a little motor home that we spend the winter  in each year.  Our winters last about six months.

 Because we live in Calgary, we are happy to spend our winters in Victoria where the flowers bloom all season and the grass stays green.  About the third year of our arrangement, I coveted a bigger motor home.  I had all kinds of excuses for needing one,  from inviting people for dinner to carrying more “necessary” stuff with us.  My generous husband finally agreed to look at some after weeks of listening to my nagging. 

As we spent time viewing bigger and newer rigs, God brought to mind this verse and I realized why I was so adamant in purchasing something larger.  It was partly to satiate my worldly desires, partly pride to show off and partly the fact that I knew my husband would sacrifice our savings just to keep me happy.  This selfish desire had consumed me until he gave in and agreed to buy a new rig. 

When God helped me see my selfish attitude, I realized that the idea of a bigger and newer motor home had consumed places in my heart that belonged to God.
I believe we can get wrapped up in worldly goods and activities and desires that take the place of God’s presence in our hearts.  We need to guard our hearts against allowing these desires and activities to become too important..
Put God first in your life and keep your hearts free from things that may crowd him.

1 John 1:16.  “For the world offers only the lust for physical pleasure, the lust for everything we see, and the pride in our possessions.  These are not from the Father.  They are from this evil world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment