What is good and what does God require of us?


Monday August 6 2012:

Micah 6:8  “O People, the Lord has already told you what is good and this is what he requires:  to do what is right, to love mercy and to walk with your God.”

This is the message God gave to Micah to relay to the Children of Israel and this is still what God requires of his children today.  If we live by these three simple instructions our lives are pleasing to our Creator.

1) Do what is right:  If we strive to do what is right, we follow the  ten commandments because doing what is right is inherent for obedience to all God desires of us.  His instructions are very clearly described in his Word.

2) “love mercy”  the word mercy is defined as withholding punishment or judgment our sins deserve.  God showed mercy to us by sacrificing his only son, Jesus Christ, for our sins.  He withholds judgment against us for our sins because the blood of Jesus has washed us clean.  God expects us to show mercy to others as he showed mercy to us.  We are often judgmental and we are told not to be.  The absence of judging others reflects mercy and by practicing that we grow to be lovers of mercy.

3) “walk humbly with God”  The greatness and majesty of our mighty God is humbling indeed, but we often take God for granted.  We take our blessings for granted, we forget where they come from.  We become too knowledgeable in secular society and we neglect to rely on our Creator.  I have noticed just when I become confident in myself and “smug” in my ways, God allows something totally unexpected to happen in my life that ultimately teaches me a worthwhile truth.

I believe, to walk humbly with God means acknowledging him in everything, always giving thanks to him for all our blessings, forget about second guessing him but trust him in every circumstance.  We were created for his glory so let us never cease to glorify his name!
 
When we walk humbly with God our attitude is one of meekness in submission to his perfect will.

Prayer for today:  Oh Lord,  sometimes my attitude is not what it’s supposed to be, I often think of myself first and feel sorry for myself.  Help me to show mercy to others as you have shown mercy to me, help me to do what is right and to walk humbly with you.  Let me be all that I can be.  In Jesus name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment