Last tribute to Drew!


Weekend Read August 5 2012

This is the last weekend read as a tribute to our son, Drew.  I hope you, the reader will allow me one more entry.  This is a poem I wrote to Drew  the first year we spent Christmas without him.  I trust it may speak to your heart as well.

To Drew and Others:
Oh, my son, my son!
You who loved until it overflowed
You, who hurt beyond words
The sensitivity that you displayed was beautiful!
We spent many hours talking
I know you tried so hard to understand me
And yet, you struggled with your feelings
They always got in your way
You were trying to understand
Unconditional love!
What exactly is it?
It is the love that keeps on loving when it’s difficult.
It is the love that keeps on giving when others give up.
It is the love that loves through hurts and destruction.
It is the love that continues when you don’t “like” very much.
It is the belief that you “can”
The faith to pursue
The hope in the dark
The desire to give of yourself
And the patience to endure
It is much more than these words can say.
Words cannot do it justice nor can it  be articulated
For unconditional love is perfect and we cannot attain perfection
We in ourselves, are incapable
We are creatures who harbour bitterness and shame
We are not equipped to show perfect love in ourselves
For our human frailties get in the way!
How then?  Why do we struggle to envelope it?
Why do we press on to attain it?
Because it is the epitome of life!
It is the sanctification of the Redeemer
And only in Him and with Him can we even come close.
You are now in a place of perfect love
My Son, My joy and pride!
Adena Paget  Dec. 23 1998



1 comment: