Dealing with a Problem Early, Friday Jan.20


Friday January 20 2012

Proverbs 10:10  “People who wink at wrong cause trouble, but a bold reproof promotes peace.”

Does this verse conjure up visions of our tolerant and permissive society today? We are being conditioned to be “politically correct” and therefore, we  often become hesitant to stand up for Godly foundations and Biblical teachings.
Parents are afraid to discipline their children and when they do, it seems as if the consequences are often inappropriate or non-existent. 

Our judicial system falls into the same category.  Prisoners are given leniency and treated like victims instead of perpetrators.  Prison facilities are often more luxurious and better equipped than private homes.
Many people are afraid to stand up for their democratic rights for fear of being accused of being “intolerant”. 
The Bible says we are allowed to be bold and in fact, Solomon says, “A bold reproof promotes peace.” This always proves to be true.


As a young Mother, I often looked the other way when my children did something wrong which wasn’t too serious.  I discovered, if I didn’t put a stop to the misbehavior early, the “deed” became more severe as time progressed.  Soon the whole “act” got out of hand and someone would end up getting injured or something would get broken and then........I would lose my cool and reprimand more severely then was necessary.  Things would have been much easier if I had disciplined early and I could have saved myself much stress and anguish. It took me a long time to learn not to “turn the other way” or “wink” at the wrong that was being done but I should have dealt with the matter as quickly as possible.

As a teacher, I learned to attack a problem as soon as I detected it:  whether it was behavioral or academic, the sooner I could act and resolve it, the easier my job was.  By acting early and appropriately, the child learned not to repeat the “thing” and the classroom became a better learning environment for all concerned.
There are many circumstances in life where we can apply this verse.  It is a good one to put to memory, to use when the situation arises where we need to be “honest” and forthright.


Prayer for today: Heavenly father, Thank you for your Word, Your “blueprint” for my life.  Help me to adhere to the teachings that bring honour to your Holy name. May I have the capability to speak up for what is righteous and true and not be ashamed or timid in Biblical truths. In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This writing brings my thoughts to one of my philosophies in my life... If something is difficult to do; it is likely the right thing to do! How easy it is to 'wink' at the wrong and how much more difficult it is to greet the wrong head on! Thanks for the reminder My Mom!

    ReplyDelete