What would you like on your epitaph?



Thursday January 26 2012


Philippians 1:20
“For I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that causes me shame, but that I will always be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past and that my life will always honour Christ whether I live or die.”

Paul tells us our boldness for Christ is not embarrassing or the cause of shame but rather, to NOT be bold for Christ would cause shame.  To speak out in defense and in truth keeps him (Paul) from experiencing shame.  In other words, Paul is saying; to honour Christ while we are alive is a high calling and one way to do this is to be bold and portray and expound upon the truth of Jesus Christ and our testimony, while we are alive, will also be remembered after our passing.


One day, I was encouraged to write down what I would like to have written on my epitaph. It did not take me long to know exactly what the “gist” of the thing would be.  The exact  wording was not that important but I knew I wanted to be known as a “Child of God who put Christ first in my life and was used by Him to show His love and encouragement to others.”  When I retired from teaching, our caretaker, who was a Christian, stood up voluntarily to say some parting words to and about me.  The comment that was most precious was that I was a testimony for Christ!  It meant more to me than all the other nice things that were said about me that evening or ever! 
What would you like on your epitaph?

Prayer for today: Heavenly Father, Let me be an example for you and not be embarrassed to speak out for you.  Let my epitaph read that I was a soldier for you, Oh Lord.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment