Joy of Adoption January 16 2012


 Monday January 16 2012  

The Joy of Adoption:
Ephesians 1:4,5. “Before we were even born, or before He made the world, God loved us  and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes.  His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into His own family by bringing us to Himself through Jesus Christ.  And this gave Him great pleasure.”

In 1970 my husband and I adopted our youngest daughter, our baby. We actually “chose” her to be our daughter.  We cared for babies of unwed mothers in our home until Social Services could place them into adoptive homes.  
This special little girl was in our home for eighteen months before she was eligible for adoption. After this length of time we had grown to love her so much, we could not bear the thought of letting her go. Instead of allowing social services to place her with another family, we applied to legally  adopt her.   It was a very exciting day when she actually became “ours”. Our daughter is very special to us and has given us blessings our other four children could not.  She has brought another dimension into our family  because her genetic makeup is different from her siblings.  She has also grown  to be a beautiful bright and confident young woman and  she holds a very special place in our hearts. 

I liken this to my adoption into the Kingdom of God.  It makes me feel very special and privileged to be a child of God and know He has adopted me into His family. What a blessing to know He chose me! 

He  also gave me a choice and for many years I chose not to enter into the blessings He wanted me to enjoy. During those years of rejection, my life was empty of the deep peace and joy and love that comes from a relationship with the Heavenly Father.  When I returned to my rightful heritage, as a child of God, I knew I was in the right place.  Through Jesus Christ, I was welcomed into His family with open arms.  He is my Father just as my husband is our daughter’s father.  She also had a choice when she came of age to reject us or to embrace us because she always knew the truth about her adoption.  I am so glad she also made the choice to continue to be an important part of our family.

When we adopted our daughter, we weren’t required to sacrifice anything in order for her to be legally ours.  Her birth mother had done all the hard work and we only enjoyed the benefits and blessings of her “labor”. The same holds true in the family of God. God allowed his Son to give up His own life so you and I can be accepted into the wonderful family of God.  Jesus purchased our freedom through His blood.  That is how very much God loves us and wants us to accept Him.  I can’t imagine giving up any of my children for others to enjoy the benefits but our daughter’s biological Mother actually gave up her little girl so we could love and enjoy her.  I will be eternally grateful to her for her sacrifice just as I am to our glorious Father in heaven who has adopted me into His family so I can reap the wondrous blessings which He gives to me daily.

Prayer for today: I am so thankful for the love you have for me, Lord, to adopt me as your own child.  Thank you for sacrificing your only Son for my salvation.   Help me to bring praise and glory to your name in all that I do and may my life be a blessing to You, Father.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment