How humble must we be?


Friday March 23 2012

Matthew 23: 12 “ But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exhaled.”

Jesus is speaking about the religious leaders who wore extra wide prayer boxes and long prayer tassels to show that they were religious and deserved respect and places of honour at banquets and other gatherings. Jesus said to listen to them but not to behave like them. This is a lesson for today, as well. 

When we exalt ourselves above others, we lose credibility, instead, it is far better to work at what you need to become and let someone else offer the accolades and the credibility’s for you. This seems contradictory to what the world is telling us, we often hear, “ You “gotta” blow your own horn because no one else will blow it for you.” This is against what Jesus taught us.

It seems that this life on earth is very short compared to eternity and I would prefer to store up my rewards for eternity rather than experience them on earth in this short life! Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be exalted in heaven by the King of Kings?

Prayer for today: Today, Lord, help me to be humble.  Even though, I am privileged to be a child of God, I know you love sinners and sent your Son to save sinners. And so, dear Lord, help me to remember your Son when he humbled himself to become a servant to others and help me to remember his teachings when he told us to take a back seat instead of exalting ourselves. My desire is to exalt you, oh Lord and you alone.  Let me be a servant for you. In Jesus name, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this post makes me think of my Dad. He would very quietly remind us that when we did something good to let others give the praise. Loved my Dad. Thanks for reminders of God's word but also for sharing your heart journey. Love you.

    ReplyDelete