How often should we forgive others?


Tuesday March 27 2012

Matthew 18:21.  “Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me?”  Seven times? 22) “No!” Jesus replied, “Seventy times seven.”

Jesus is saying we should forgive anyone who sins against us.  Not just once or twice or even seven times but again and again.  How often have I said, I’m not going to put up with this anymore! Especially when I have been hurt by someone?

 If we follow the teachings of Jesus, then we don’t keep track of how often we have been sinned against.  Sometimes this is not possible on our own, but with God all things are possible, even to forgive our enemies. 

In the Lord’s Prayer, Matt. 6:12, we are told to pray for forgiveness of our sins just as we forgive those who sin (or trespass) against us. If it is not possible to forgive within ourselves, then we are at liberty to ask for help! Jesus never gives us more than we can handle and he doesn’t expect us to fend for ourselves, He is always close and waits for us to ask for help.

Prayer for today:  Father, help me to forgive those that trespass against me.  Help me not to keep track of how many times I have been sinned against but to keep forgiving just as you have instructed us to do. Thank you Father, for forgiving my sins and accepting me just as I am, sin and all!  Give me strength to be more like you, Jesus, and to show more love and forgiveness to my fellow human beings, especially those who are close to me.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment