Watch your language!


Friday March 9 2012

Ephesians 4:29. “Don’t use foul or abusive language.  Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.”

I pride myself for not ever using cuss words in my conversation and I judged others who did.  My students used to tell me it was okay  to cuss when they were angry because they couldn’t help it.  I replied with, “that is no excuse and perhaps you should increase you vocabulary so you could use other words.”  And then the Lord showed me that this verse not only said to abstain from using foul language, but it also instructs us to let our words be an encouragement to others as well as good and helpful.

  I remember entering into conversations in the staff room that were destructible and sarcastic to others and I realized I was as guilty of abusive language as the students who used “bad” words.

I had some repenting to do and have since asked God to help me to be an encourager at all times.  I now have the strength, most of the time, to  abstain from gossip and sarcasm and instead, exert my energies to uplift and speak kindly about and to others.
 
There is no excuse to be abusive in our speech or use foul language if we let the Lord lead us.  In Psalms 19:14, it says, “Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to you, Oh Lord.”

Prayer for today: “Oh Lord, I ask you to guide my speech and help me to utter only words that will bring encouragement. Keep me from entering into abusive conversations remembering you created everyone and all are acceptable in your sight, oh  God, and you love each and every one you created.   You don’t care what church we attend, what color our skin is or who our ancestors were. Give me a heart that’s filled with love, make me more like Jesus and give me words that will bring joy and encouragement to those around me.  In Jesus name, Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment