Drop the mat of heaviness!


Thursday May 3 2012:

Luke 5:24. “......Stand up, take your mat and go home because you are healed.”

This incident is a good lesson for us.  First Jesus forgave his sins and then he healed his affliction.  Is it a prerequisite to have our sins forgiven before healing can take place?  Maybe not, but if we are full of sin, it stands to reason, that we would also be riddled with guilt.  Sin and guilt go hand in hand.  I believe it is easier to accept healing if our hearts are clean.  Whether it be for a physical or emotional ailment, when we are full of sin, we feel ashamed and unworthy to accept the gift of healing and when our conscience is free, our self-concept is more apt to receive gifts.
Often just the act of asking forgiveness is a healing balm and brings relief to heaviness and physical ailments
.
Could the “mat” be a metaphor for the burdens the man was weighed down with,  or the unforgiven sins that plagued him?  Jesus simply said, “Take your mat and go home.”

If you are burdened down with past sins and are being weighed down by a heavy conscience, Jesus is saying to you, “Take your mat and go home.”   If you have asked forgiveness, don’t continue to lie on your mat of sorrows!

The man immediately jumped up and picked up his mat and went home praising God.  We need to  accept forgiveness and go on to praise the Lord in order to find total freedom from the chains of affliction
.
Prayer for today: Precious Jesus , I come before you asking forgiveness for suppressing things that I need to face and deal with.  Thank you for loving me and waiting for me to see things that I need to confess. Help me to “pick up my mat” and find my way home to you.  Help me to be everything I can be and not to wish I was somewhere else or someone else and most of all help me not to carry pity around with me.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment