Enemies?? What to do?


Monday May 28 2012:

Matthew 5:44 “But I say, ‘love your enemies, Pray for those who persecute you.”

Most times, it is very difficult to  love our enemies.
 In my life, I’m not sure I have ever had any enemies that I was aware of.  I know people, some of whom I considered friends, who hurt me emotionally and several times, the hurts were so deep that I considered that person an enemy.

 I realized if I spent time speaking against that person, the ‘hurt’ festered and increased.  The more I talked about the incident, the ‘hotter; the issue became.  Every time I talked about it, fuel was added to the embers and the intensity increased until the heat became so intense, the embers ignited and became destructive flames. 

I’m sure many a reputation has been destroyed by damaging gossip because one person was  hurt by another. When I became mature in years and spirituality, the lord showed me how much more effective I could be by exerting my energies to pray for that person who hurt me. 

When we start praying for someone, it becomes impossible to hate them.  Prayer is the healing balm that soothes the hurt and makes it disappear.  Jesus says “pray for those who persecute you.”   I learned this really works.

Prayer for today:  Father, I thank you for being a forgiving God who knows and understands my shortcomings.  I ask you today to forgive me for gossiping about others.  Forgive my selfish attitude and self-absorption when I think someone has hurt me. Help me to love those who have caused me hurt and enable me to forgive them. Help me to keep my eyes on you and my thoughts pure and loving.  In Jesus name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment