Showing love towards Jesus


Monday:
John 12:3. “ Then Mary took a twelve-ounce jar of expensive perfume made from nard, and she anointed Jesus’ feet with it and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with fragrance.”

Often when my house smells stale or musty from cooking odors or having been shut up for a time, I light candles or bake cookies because the aroma from these wonderful smelling fragrances makes the whole house smell inviting, warm and welcoming.  A favorite little trick of real estate people is to put a drop of vanilla on a burner just before someone comes to view, the aroma is often a deciding factor between two properties.

I believe the house of Lazarus smelled invitingly warm after Mary anointed Jesus’ feet but I am more impressed by the symbolic tender affection and extravagant love that Mary displayed for Jesus by this gesture.  It truly was a symbol of unconditional love and everyone benefited from her action.  It was only the ‘betrayer’ who called her down for doing it and he was later ‘duped’ by Satan as the one who sold Jesus to the soldiers.

Our ‘house’ is our body and I wonder if Jesus feels as loved by dwelling there as he did in the house of Lazarus by Mary’s show of admiration and love.  Our “houses” need to reflect a pure love such as this with the sweet aroma of goodness, love and a right attitude so that God’s son is made to feel welcome in our lives. If you need an adjustment in your attitude, perhaps it is time for a display of love towards the Saviour.  Wrap yourself in the fruits of the Spirit so Jesus will feel loved and welcome while dwelling in your heart.

Prayer for today:  Dear Lord, today I want to thank you for being with me at all times.  Forgive me for the times I have made you feel less than welcome by having a ‘bad’ attitude.  Please help me to strive to be an inviting place for you to dwell.  Let me be the “Mary” that makes you feel loved and welcomed by displaying unconditional love to you and by being a vessel that you can work through and a sweet smelling fragrance dedicated to you first and foremost.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment