A tribute to Mom! From Robyn


Weekend Read Sep.2 2012:


The following writing was presented to me by my daughter one Mother’s Day.  It was one of the best gifts I have ever received.  I hope it will bless you as well.
Presented to Adena Paget, my Mother, May 2001:
Being a woman has brought many trials and many blessings and as I walk this walk of Motherhood, my thoughts often turn toward my mentor in mothering.
I put myself in her shoes at various times in her life and I reflect:...........

Doing so has helped me realize that she too is all human.  She has other roles in life - other than being a Mother.  She too has struggled, cried, laughed and rejoiced.  She too has had moments of defeat as well as celebration.

My mentor, my Mother heroine, knows what it feels like to be pregnant before marriage, understands what it  means to have a disease stricken child, has wept many tears for wayward children, has experienced the huge disappointment of her offspring quitting school and walking away from responsibilities.  She has felt the cutting hurt of unspoken and verbalized cruelty that comes from the mouths and actions of selfish children.  She has felt sorrow, grief, anger, rejection, fear and jealousy.

When I reflect over the past forty years, I realize my mentor has taught me that these mothering pains are natural, a part of life and reproduction.

She has taught me through her perfect example that through the pain comes joyous celebration.  Celebrating a first step, a first word, a first passed test, first dollar earned, first car, first date, first love and a first home.  She has shown me that mothering is a celebration of blessings, the blessings of unconditional love, warm “hello’s” and genuine hugs.  The exploding pride that a child can bring into your life far outweigh the imploding strife that is inevitable.

My mentor has walked the walk, and has always talked the talk of perfect mothering,

Thank you, Mom for your example of what a mother should be.  Thank you for your unconditional, unselfish and ever present love and belief in me.  Thank you for being my Mentor, not only in mothering, but also a perfect example of a wife, a friend and a daughter.

There is no other
Like my Mother!

By Robyn




No comments:

Post a Comment