Who's in your drivers seat?


Monday September 10 2012:

Luke 9:23.  “.........if any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily and follow me.”

The translation from the Message is:  “ Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead.  You’re not in the driver’s seat - I am.  Don’t run from suffering: embrace it.  Follow me and I’ll show you how.  Self-help is no help at all.  Self sacrifice is the way, my way to finding yourself,  your true self.”

Even in the pre-Christian era, the cross was often compared to the cares and troubles of life.  Jesus tells us to embrace our troubles.  We know adversity develops character and maturity and causes us to grow.  Is that why Jesus tells us to  “shoulder” our “cross” and continue to follow him?

Sometimes it is difficult and we find ourselves in self-pity but no matter what happens, we need to keep our focus on Jesus.  He is ultimately in control and allows these circumstances in your life for a higher purpose than we can see.

Prayer for today: Dear Lord Jesus, Thank you for being in control because often I am not!  Help me to “shoulder” my cares and not drown in self-pity.  Help me to keep my eyes on you.  In Jesus name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment