Consequences to disobedience!


Thursday September 20 2012:

Jonah 1:14  “..............Oh Lord, you have sent this storm upon him for your own good reason.”

This was the cry of one of the sailors on the boat that carried Jonah.  When the storm grew violent and the seamen felt they had lost control, they realized it was Jonah who was responsible for the dilemma.  Jonah was trying to run away from God and in his attempt he was causing great havoc and danger, not only to himself but to others as well.

This an excellent illustration of the consequences we often suffer when we disobey the requests of the Lord. 

 How often have we tried to ignore the voice of God and just continued going our own way only to find dire consequences waiting for us. God will not be ignored and he will not accept disobedience from his children.

Sometimes it is our own conscience that causes our grief but usually it is the Holy Spirit that “pricks” our conscience  and causes us to change our situation. I have experienced the voice of God urging me to do something and I made excuses like, inconvenience or no time or I am not equipped for that and later I realized if I had obeyed I would have experienced success because God wanted me to do it.. But we usually realize it too late and  live to regret our disobedience just as a child regrets disobedience to an earthly father.

Let us be sensitive to God’s direction and obedient to his cause because it is then it becomes easier to sail through life.  We will still experience storms but God will be with us through each one of them and perhaps we can avoid the deep dark ones that bring us to the  depths of where Jonah sunk.

Prayer for today:  Dear Lord, I am so thankful that you give us second chances and even when we disobey you, your grace and love reach out and hold us close to you.  Help me today to hear your voice and be obedient to your requests and directions.  In Jesus name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment